Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Road trippin’, Part 1

Last week I went on a road trip with some buddies along the South African coast towards Port Elizabeth. Lekker times were had. The fun was so intense that it can’t be contained in one post.

Me with the guys who helped me bungee!

Friday: We headed eastbound on the 7+ hour/360 mile journey from Cape Town to Stormsrivier, where the backpackers we booked was located. The route we drove is commonly referred to as the Garden Route because of all the diverse vegetation that grows along it. It has the second mildest climate in the world (Hawaii is first). Since it was my car and I was the only one allowed to drive it under the contract, I had the pleasure of driving all 7+ hours… It wasn’t too bad, and we made it through the night and rainy weather.
Our journey east on the N2, one of 2 major highways out of Cape Town

Sunset on the Garden Route

Saturday: I went BUNGEE JUMPING with some guys I met at the backpackers. It was hectic! The Bloukran Bridge is the world’s tallest bungee jump at 216 meters above the Bloukran River, not too bad for my first bungee ever (go big or go home, right?). I was terrified and made the mistake of looking down before I jumped. They had to pry my hands off the guys helping to the ledge. The free fall lasted about 7 seconds, but I really don’t remember much immediately after I jumped. I do, however, remember the 2-3 minutes of hanging upside down, which felt like eternity. As I was hanging there I was praying for the knot around my feet to hold. I probably had nothing to worry about, but when I was hanging by a thread off a bridge hundred of meters up in the air all I could think about was the worst possible scenarios at the time. Once I got back onto the bridge, I could feel the adrenalin coursing through my body. Would I do it again? I'm not sure, but I probably could be convinced if with the right company….

Jumper #37

The harness and straps that kept me from plunging to my death.

"I believe I can fly."

I'd like to go back to solid ground, please. ASAP.

Back on the bridge. I know I'm back on ground, but that doesn't keep me from clinging onto the grate just as an extra precaution.

Later that day we went on a beautiful hike in Tsitsikamma National Park, right on the Indian Ocean:

Looks like a scene from Lost

Start of the path.

Bridge over troubled water.

Coastline.

On the rocks. 

Paradise found.

The waves were pretty rough.

I’ll post Part 2 soon with pics of me trying to surf and lion cubs. You won’t want to miss it.

Thank you to everyone who donated to Grassroot Soccer this past week: Jason H. and the Roselles! I am less than $40 to $1000! Help me reach my goal!

Until next time,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment